Sunday, November 28, 2010

Wk 10: I know I’m a living system because…


One of the definitions of Living Systems is having a “history of never-ending transformation”… another definition for a Living System is “Autopoiesis“ (which means auto-production) as cognized by Varela, Maturana and Uribe is one in which the “system is constantly in the act of becoming themselves.  This includes: changing and interacting with their environment in a conscious way”.   In which case, my life definitely qualifies.  If there is one thing that is the hallmark of my experience, it is transformation.  In fact the quintessential metaphor for this, of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly, is an iconic image that has come to me many times in meditation and ceremony.

On the external level of career I have repeatedly transformed myself, going from the Music Industry to Film & Video, to Multi-media, to the web and finally to being an organic farmer/body worker and student of acupuncture.

Interpersonally, my primary partner relationship has transformed over my life  (whether I wanted it to at the time –or- not!) as one relationship ended and another began.  And of course, throughout all of this, my internal environment, (my mind/psyche, emotions and spirit) has grown and changed as well, as I embrace different belief systems and worldviews.   And of course, my body has gone through (and continues to go through) changes and shifts of weight, and health, as it encounters the challenges of accidents, dis-ease, stress and life’s experiences.

When I look at all of this within the context of my astrological chart, it can all be seen mapped out before me, as the planetary periods tick-off the space-time coordinates.  And given this over arching framework for my life, that astrology provides, I would have to say, that yes…through out all this growth, development and change, the constant is that I am ever becoming more and more who I have come to know as my essential self.

1 comment: